On 3/6/08 12:09 PM, "Tim McDaniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Dan Rogart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 3/6/08 8:33 AM, "roger.maynard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I got 4 tables:
>>>
>>> Table A
>>> | ID  |     Description1      |
>>>
>>> Table B
>>> | ID  |     Description2      |
>>>
>>> Table C
>>> | ID  |     Description3      |
>>>
>>> Table D
>>> | ID  |     Description4      |
>>>
>>> ALL Ids ARE COMMON Values and NONE are MISSING
>>>
>>> How can I create
>>> | ID  | Description 1 | Description 2 | Description 3 | Description 4 |
>
>> Here's how I made it work in a simple example:
>
> "mysql>" prompts removed to make it easier to copy and paste,
> and ">" quoting removed for the same reason.
>
> Dan Rogart wrote:
>      create table a (id int, desc1 varchar(255));
>      create table b (id int, desc2 varchar(255));
>      create table c (id int, desc3 varchar(255));
>      create table d (id int, desc4 varchar(255));
>      insert into a values (1, 'foo');
>      insert into b values (1, 'bar');
>      insert into c values (1, 'fu');
>      insert into d values (1, 'br');
>      select a.id,a.desc1,b.desc2,c.desc3,d.desc4 from a
>          join b on a.id = b.id
>          join c on b.id = c.id
>          join d on c.id = d.id;
>
> Is that last SELECT equivalent to my version here?
>
>      select a.id, a.desc1, b.desc2, c.desc3, d.desc4 from a, b, c, d
>          where a.id = b.id and a.id = c.id and a.id = d.id;
>
> I mean: the two versions get the same result -- is one translated into
> the other / processed exactly the same internally?  If so, um,
> my version is a little shorter.

Yep, they're the same.  I think the optimizer parses them exactly the same
way too (based on how they EXPLAIN).

It's just a question of what's a more readable way for you to write joins -
with 4 tables involved, for me the query is more comprehensible at a glance
by using JOIN statements.

Your mileage may vary, of course :).

-Dan