On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:52 PM, smriti Sebastian
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I tried to implement a cursor using the following statement:
>  create procedure curdemo()
>  begin
>  declare cursor1 cursor for select SID from customer;
>
>  I have a customer table with a field SID.
>  BUt I am getting an error
>  ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
>  that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
>  near '' at line 1
>
>  Plz help me to solve this.Thanks in advance.

Your really jumping into the advanced features of mysql...

I do not know what in particular is wrong with your query. If I had to
make a guess I would say you are trying to execute it in phpmyadmin or
similar and not declaring a delimiter.

When I write stored procedures I always write them in a text file and
then execute that from the command line. I generally doing something
like:
DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS proc_name();
DELIMITER |

CREATE PROCEDURE proc_name()
BEGIN
DECLARE cursor_name CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM db_name.table_name
END

I then create the procedure with something like:
"C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL SERVER 5.0\bin\mysql.exe" db_name -u
user_name < "C:\Documents and Settings\rob\stored_proc.sql"

I have not checked that the above code will work. There may be typo's, etc...

--
Rob Wultsch