Hi All,

I have just released the first fully durable version of PBXT. Because of the amount of new code I have reverted PBXT to Alpha status. This version, 1.0-alpha, can be downloaded from: http://www.primebase.org/ download.

PBXT is a highly scalable, transactional storage engine for MySQL. The main features are: multi-version concurrency control (MVCC), ACID compliant, Referential Integrity and BLOB streaming (http:// www.blobstreaming.org).

The PBXT project is now owned and funded by PrimeBase Technologies, an open source software development company. The web-site, http:// www.primebase.org, is also the new home of PBXT. Here you will find all the information, documentation, downloads, and links relating to PBXT.

I will also be talking about PBXT and BLOB streaming at the MySQL Conference & Expo 2008 next month. It would be great to see you there: http://en.oreilly.com/mysql2008/public/schedule/speaker/517. Topics of my sessions include:

  * Internals: How I made PBXT fully-durable.
  * PBXT & SSD: Why this is a hot combination!
  * BLOB streaming: How do you scale it?

Besides full durability, the latest release includes the following improvements:

  * Calculation of index statistics as required by the optimizer.
* New system variables (see http://www.primebase.org/ documentation#sysvar).
  * Implementation of SELECT FOR UPDATE.
  * Group commit.
  * Support for SHOW ENGINE PBXT STATUS.

Note that this release does not have is an option to relax durability. The transaction log is always flushed on commit. A system variable to control the writing/flushing behavior of PBXT will be added to the next release.

Don't forget to look me up at the conference!

Best regards,

Paul McCullagh