At 10:01 AM -0700 4/1/08, Robert DiFalco wrote:
I've been told that an index always contains the primary key.

By who?

Ask for proof.

 So if I
have a LONG ID that is the primary key of table and create on index on
LONG VALUE, the index on LONG VALUE will actually work as a typical
compound index on ID,VALUE. My question is this, if I don't know that
about MySQL and create my indices on purpose (i.e. not taking into
account implementation details about MySQL) I would create the index
explicitly on ID,VALUE. If I did that would I effectively have the same
index as one on just VALUE or would there some how be duplicate data in
the ID,VALUE index (i.e. ID, ID, VALUE)?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but if I understand correctly,
the answer is no.

You might find these sections of the manual helpful:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/indexes.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/multiple-column-indexes.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-indexes.html

--