Hi

Up until version 5.0.44 (on linux) it appeared that you could do stuff like deliberately insert a NULL into a NOT NULL varchar field and it would be silently converted to an empty string. Similarly if you didn't specify a value it appeared to use what is describe in the docs as the "DEFAULT()" function to enter an empty string in the column

However, I just upgraded from 5.0.44 to 5.0.54 and now the behaviour has changed so that this errors noisily. The docs on SQL Modes http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-sql-mode.html - suggests that this behaviour can be controlled, but as far as I can see I don't have the |STRICT_ALL_TABLES or ||STRICT_TRANS_TABLES options enabled anyway..?

How can I return to the old behaviour (at least until I update my app)?

Is this change in behaviour defined anywhere?

Thanks

Ed W