Hi,

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:30 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello mysql,
>
>  Here is the short version of my story. I have a database that was not
>  correctly defined at creation time and is currently set to  utf8_general_ci
>  but needs to be utf8_polish_ci. Some Polish characters are displaying
>  incorrectly and also some of the index references are not correct. I
>  was thinking that exporting the data and recreating the database with
>  the correct collation would solve the problem then I noticed in
>  phpMyAdmin that I could copy the database with a different collation
>  and wondered if that would be another way to get the correct solution.
>
>  Any thoughts or comments on the "right" way to convert from
>  utf8_general_ci to utf8_polish_ci?

The database collation isn't what's really affecting you here.  It's
the character set and collation (they cannot be considered
independently) of the columns that you're using to hold the data.

Character sets and collations are pretty complicated.  Have you read
the entire contents of the MySQL manual's documentation on them?

Regards
Baro

--

Baron Schwartz, Senior Consultant, Percona Inc.
Tel: +1 888 401 3401 ext 507