Hello!

I have just installed mysql-3.23.38 from source on a Mandrake 8 Linux box.

I installed the db tables with mysql_install_db

the user mysql owns the files in the mysql dir.

when I go to start up the mysql daemon using ./safe_mysqld --user=mysql &  I
get this

 Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/var
010605 11:12:14  mysqld ended

[1]+  Done                    ./safe_mysqld --user=mysql

and the daemon does not start.  I have checked to processes and it is not
listed.  Anyone have and ideas where
I may have gone wrong or what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks.

Chad