Hi,

I am trying to optimize our DB server. We have one table which has 1.3M entries, and the keys are GUIDs (so the key space is large). However, I have it all indexed. The performance was iffy, though, so I increased memory allocation, and the searches on the indexed fields seem to be OK now. Still, a simple count(field) on this table still takes, like, 2 minutes! I am guessing i am missing something obvious, but I read through a few MySQL optimization guides, and it seems like i am covering my bases.

        Here is the relevant slice of my my.cnf:

#
# * Fine Tuning
#
key_buffer              = 256M
max_allowed_packet      = 64M
thread_stack            = 512K
thread_cache_size       = 32
#
# * Query Cache Configuration
#
query_cache_limit       = 32M
query_cache_size        = 256M
query_cache_type        = 1
table_cache             = 512
sort_buffer_size        = 32M

I am running Ubuntu 7.04, with 1GB of RAM. The relevant fields are all indexed, but I can't imagine why a simple count() would take so long, when the actual query by value on the same field is effectively instant (after my cache setting expansion).

Does anyone have an idea of what I am missing? Also, if you think any of the above settings seem wrong for a server with 1GB of RAM, please let me know.

--
        Victor Danilchenko
        Senior Software Engineer, AskOnline.net