OK folks, I'm kind of stumped; looking into things a bit more, but
thought I'd hit the list and see if anyone had any suggestions for a
rock to look under, in case I'm missing it...

DB Server: Windows 2003, 8-way CPU, lots of RAM, MySQL 4.1.22-nt binary
from MySQL
Current Production web server: Linux, RedHat 7.2, MySQL 5.0.51a client
from MySQL Binary RPMs
New Web Server: Linux, RedHat EL 4, MySQL 5.0.51a client from MySQL
Binary RPMs

The current production web server has a fairly high traffic load, but DB
usage is extremely efficient, so there's not a significant load on the
DB server.

Connection times from the production web server are almost instantaneous
(under 1 second), using the "press enter and observe" method, using the
command-line interface.

Connection times from the new web server box take between 4-6 seconds
between the time you press enter and the time that you get the MySQL
prompt.  YSlow in Firefox confirms a consistent average of 4-6 seconds
difference between the servers reflected in page load times.

At this point, we're trying to see what it is going on between the
client and the server; datacenter folks have assured us that it's not a
networking issue (although I'm not sure that I'm convinced).  We've
ruled out any apache or PHP issues causing a problem, as the
configurations and build options are identical.

Any thoughts of a performance number or configuration option that would
make any differences?

Thanks much in advance - I'm scratching my head on this one...

-Doug