On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Jerry Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm running afoul of the UTF8 character set somehow:

mysql> select convert(char(0x96) using utf8);
+----------------------------------+
| convert(char(0x96) using utf8)   |
+----------------------------------+
| NULL                             |
+----------------------------------+
1 row in set, 1 warning (0.00 sec)

mysql> show warnings;
+-------+------+-------------------------------------+
| Level | Code | Message                             |
+-------+------+-------------------------------------+
| Error | 1300 | Invalid utf8 character string: '96' |
+-------+------+-------------------------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

On top of my other problems, I've discovered that pasting the UTF8
character represented by 0x96 into the MySQL CLI (Windows) somehow
converts the character to 0x2D (a normal dash); so a lot of my
testing has been wasted.  Pasting it into a Windows-based editor
preserves the character as 0x96.

In an earlier note, he wrote
You may not be able to see it, but that is actually an n-dash
(\x96).

Actually, \x96 is not an en-dash.
<http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0080.pdf> says that it's
"START OF GUARDED AREA".  x96 is in the middle of a block of control
characters from the unnamed control character at \x80 through
APPLICATION PROGRAM COMMAND at \x9F (or arguably NO-BREAK SPACE at
\xa0).

Microsoft, in some of their Windows code pages, assigned meanings to
those values that differ from the Unicode and ISO-8859-1 standards
(quelle suprise), assigning many of them uses as printable characters.
I think it's the Windows 1250 code page, at
<http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/sbcs/1250.mspx>.
As that page and
<http://www.microsoft.com/typography/developers/fdsspec/punc2.htm>
note, the Unicode standard value for an en-dash is U+2013 (which
appears to be in hex).

As to whether this affects the problem I don't know.  Since x96 is a
valid character, whether Microsoft or real Unicode, I would not expect
it to be a problem per se.  I just wanted to point out what it might
not mean.

--
Tim McDaniel, [EMAIL PROTECTED]