Pam Astor schrieb:
Hi,

 I have about a half dozen small databases associated with a
couple of small shopping carts, discussion forums, etc. All six databases have
usernames and
passwords associated with them, and all the databases are connected to the php
based forums and shopping carts, no problems with the php applications reading
and writing data to them.

 I set the databases up a few weeks ago, the first one I set
up, I can’t remember exactly how I set it up.

 Here is what I don’t understand.  I’m able to login as root, and also the very
first database I set up, I am able to log in to MySQL via shell using the
username and password associated with that user.  However for all the other
databases, I am not
able to log in to a MySQL  shell using the other usernames associated with their
databases – even though the php applications are configured to use the
usernames, passwords and database names for those users which I can not log in
get a shell MySQL session.

 How is it that my php applications can log in to MySQL and I can’t get a
terminal connection to them?  I’m sure it’s something about granting a
login shell but how would I do that?

connectiong from shell means connecting as localhost by default, connecting from PHP can be some different server and/or PHP uses the full IP address/hostname of the server

check/compare the privileges for your users for 'localhost' and '%'

--
Sebastian