On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 at 08:58 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] confabulated:

D Hill schrieb:

I have something I am trying to resolve with an over abundant number of slow queries. Perhaps it is because of some additional indexes needed. As soon as I enabled the option 'log_queries_not_using_indexes = 1' in the configuration file, I started getting messages relating to the select query:

  SELECT wite_what, wite_desc FROM witelist
    WHERE
      wite_what = '$oct1' OR
      wite_what = '$oct1.$oct2' OR
      wite_what = '$oct1.$oct2.$oct3' OR
      wite_what = '$oct1.$oct2.$oct3.$oct4' OR
      wite_what = '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' OR
      wite_what = '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' OR
      wite_what = '$from_dom' OR
      wite_what = '$rcpt_dom';

did you tried (result depending on your MySQL version):

WHERE wite_what IN ('$oct1', '$oct1.$oct2', '$oct1.$oct2.$oct3',
       '$oct1.$oct2.$oct3.$oct4', '[EMAIL PROTECTED]',
       '[EMAIL PROTECTED]', '$from_dom', '$rcpt_dom');

MySQL version is 5.0.51. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I did change the query to what you have shown. I'll have to wait till the server comes under a load to tell. I have noted when the last slow query was logged for this and will see.

you could also vary with thee index length if wite_what.

Right now the index is for the full length of the field (128). I just ran a query for the length of wite_what and the maximum length so far is 34. So, I will cut the index length down to 64.

and what indexes do you have currently exactly?

id -  is the primary and has an index type btree
wite_what - is a unique and has an index type of btree