Hi,

 Someone suggested I try the -amd64 kernels which provide 64 bit but when I try
 to boot it I get various errors about "this CPU does not support long
 (something) please use a 32-bit OS" - the 64 bit install CD says the same
 message. So I assume these are not 64 bit CPUs.

They almost certainly are.  Look at the contents of /proc/cpuinfo.

You are probably using a 32-bit OS.  You can't use a lot of memory
efficiently unless you install a 64-bit OS, regardless of whether it
has "big memory support".  But that's an x86_64 OS, not an AMD64 OS.
These are not the same architecture.

Er, since he's talking about a 6650, a 6th generation Dell machine, it very likely *does* have 32-bit CPUs. And he's said it came with the PERC 3/DC card, which is a very old RAID card. I would hope this machine didn't cost much, as it's quite old.

Besides that, though, x86_64 is exactly the amd64 architecture. AMD came up with it, Linux called it amd64, and then when Intel copied it and called it EM64T, it was renamed in Linux to x86_64 to be more generic.

The above message is the exact one you get when you try to boot an x86_64 kernel on a 32-bit CPU.

Regards,

Jeremy

--
high performance mysql consulting