I have setup a mysql50 instance on a system where mysql4.0.20 already exists.
So that I can run both instances together, I setup a new user called
mysql50. The mysql50 files are owned by this mysql50 user and mysql50 is in
the path. I setup a link, /usr/local/mysql-5.0 which points to the mysql50
directory. I modifed the mysql.server and I put it in the mysql-5.0
directory. Inside the file is a user parameter called user. I set the user
to mysql50.

When I run mysql.server -start, It exists with an error. The error log sayd
that I do not have permissions to the ibdata files. However, the error.log
gets created by the mysql user and NOT the mysql50 user.

So I think this script is trying to access the ibdata files in the
mysql-4.0.20 folders and it cannot get to them since they are owned by mysql
and not mysql-5.0.

So I am kind of stuck at this point. My guess is somehwere else, both the
user of mysql and the directory of mysql is set and since I am using
different variables, it is not working.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark