>  Your doing a left join which can increase the number of rows returned.
>  This is then GROUP BYed and run through a HAVING. Is:
>  posts.poster_id=users.id
>  a one to one relationship? If it is not, then count(*) would be a
>  larger number and pass the HAVING. This may not be your problem, but I
>  suggest you have more than you realize.

this is not a one-to-one as a user can make many comments but a
comment belongs to one user only, so I guess the left join returns
more than necesary. but I'm kind of stuck on that one :/

>  I suggest reading
>  http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/04/26/sql-coding-standards/

I read it thanks but I still can't find a way to do it right, I mean I
am following this pattern right no?:

  select column ...
    from table ...
   where criterion ...