Hi, I am attempting to do a "natural sort" from within mysql, if possible.
So, for example, jane2 would come before jane10, and normal strings would
still sort as expected.  I found some solutions, like using length for the
numerical part, but that only works if the strings are the same length.
Ideally, I would like to use substring_index, but stick a regexp in as the
delimiter.  So far, it seems you cannot do this.  Does anyone know how to
put a regexp as the delimiter in substring_index?  For example, I want to do
something like this:

.order by substring_index(name, 'regexp [0-9]+', 1);

Is this possible?

-Emily