Hi guys, thanks for pitching in.

The inserts are from replication; we're not using transactions on the
master (yet), and I don't think there's a way of telling MySQL to batch
incoming replication statements if they're not already in a transaction.

Disk usage: the older server (the one that's running fine) is running
more transactions per second, but has lower blocks written and read per
second than the new server:

The working server (which in addition to replicating is also handling a
bunch of read queries)

Device:            tps   Blk_read/s   Blk_wrtn/s   Blk_read   Blk_wrtn
sda              88.47       782.20       998.77 9046888130 11551757459

The new server, which is just trying to handle replication

Device:            tps   Blk_read/s   Blk_wrtn/s   Blk_read   Blk_wrtn
sda              77.83      1367.55      2914.72  358474084  764029986

Thanks,

--
Ian Simpson