I think what he means is... in one instance of the function, the data is
collated as latin-iso-blahblah, perhaps, and a different collation (one
without case sensitivity, eh?) in the other table...

As I don't deal with letters/characters outside of the 'standard'
Latin-iso-asdfasdf collation, I'm afraid there's not much else I can
explain using my limited knowledge.

Hopefully, though, that helped to give you an idea of what he was
driving at. ;)

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer