Hello,

I remember some activity regarding some flakiness when using merge-tables.

I searched out and reviewed this:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=26881

Using 5.0.51a on RHEL 4  box, I'm still seeing similar issues.

The INFORMATION_SCHEMA shows the merge table as follows

TABLE_CATALOG: NULL
  TABLE_SCHEMA: Scheduler
    TABLE_NAME: Job_all
    TABLE_TYPE: BASE TABLE
        ENGINE: NULL
       VERSION: NULL
    ROW_FORMAT: NULL
    TABLE_ROWS: NULL
AVG_ROW_LENGTH: NULL
   DATA_LENGTH: NULL
MAX_DATA_LENGTH: NULL
  INDEX_LENGTH: NULL
     DATA_FREE: NULL
AUTO_INCREMENT: NULL
   CREATE_TIME: NULL
   UPDATE_TIME: NULL
    CHECK_TIME: NULL
TABLE_COLLATION: NULL
      CHECKSUM: NULL
CREATE_OPTIONS: NULL
TABLE_COMMENT: Unable to open underlying table which is differently defined or of non-MyISAM ty

and one of the underlying table as follows. There are nine of these each one is exactly the same.

TABLE_CATALOG: NULL
  TABLE_SCHEMA: Scheduler
    TABLE_NAME: Job_08
    TABLE_TYPE: BASE TABLE
        ENGINE: MyISAM
       VERSION: 10
    ROW_FORMAT: Dynamic
    TABLE_ROWS: 2780476
AVG_ROW_LENGTH: 102
   DATA_LENGTH: 285847500
MAX_DATA_LENGTH: 281474976710655
  INDEX_LENGTH: 42443776
     DATA_FREE: 0
AUTO_INCREMENT: 12532051
   CREATE_TIME: 2008-04-03 02:47:36
   UPDATE_TIME: 2008-07-01 18:44:24
    CHECK_TIME: 2008-07-01 04:18:03
TABLE_COLLATION: latin1_swedish_ci
      CHECKSUM: NULL
CREATE_OPTIONS:
 TABLE_COMMENT:

I find it interesting that the engine for the merge table is NULL (probably irrelevant).

Bottom line is when I try to access the merge table I get
"ERROR 1168 (HY000): Unable to open underlying table which is differently defined or of non-MyISAM type or doesn't exist"

The above output busts the myth of it "not a MyISAM table". You'll have to take my word that they are identical.

This was working fine in 4.1.22.

I tried repairing all the underlying tables and recreating the merge table. No Luck.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Michael

--