Has the wheel been invented??

All my image files, stored in *.psd (photoshop) or *.cr2 (canon raw files)
file extension, have an associated *.xml file that contains the metadata
relating to the image sharing the same file name. The *.xml files have been
created by Adobe bridge and/or photoshop running on Windows XP Pro 64.

I need to create a mysql data base to access the metadata, update the metadata
and search for files meeting search criteria based upon xml tags.

Does anyone know of exitsting scripts that will enable the schema and the data
to be built/extracted from the archive.

The database will be run on Freebsd 7.0 AMD64.

Pointers appreciated.

David