I have recently become responsible for a LAMP site which has a decent MySQL install (v5.0.24a). The database is around 40GB with a single master to single slave replication scheme, although all activity goes to the master at this time, with the exception of backups which are taken from the slave.

I have several tables which are fairly large, one has 120 million records, and I need to migrate these tables to InnoDB from MyISAM to reduce the number of table locks that occur on a daily basis which bring down the site's performance.

What is the best way to perform this migration? Should I simply take an outage and alter table to set the engine type to InnoDB, or should I rename the table, and select into a new table?

What are the upper limits of MySQL performance in terms of data set size using MyISAM vs InnoDB?

TIA,
--
Josh Miller, RHCE