Hi

I installed a 64bit Linux and compiled and installed 5.0.51b. This is to be an innodb only system.

The machine has 16 GB of memory and I can see all of that with "free". Except for mysql, there is nothing running on that system.

free -m
Mem:         16071        182      15888          0         10         51
-/+ buffers/cache:        120      15951
Swap:         2055          0       2055

So according to the performance blog and the mysql manual, I tried to configure innodb_buffer_pool_size to 14 GB.

But mysql does not start and reports
080724 13:29:30  mysqld started
080724 13:29:30  InnoDB: Error: cannot allocate 652288000 bytes of
InnoDB: memory with malloc! Total allocated memory
InnoDB: by InnoDB 14917625712 bytes. Operating system errno: 12
InnoDB: Check if you should increase the swap file or
InnoDB: ulimits of your operating system.
InnoDB: On FreeBSD check you have compiled the OS with
InnoDB: a big enough maximum process size.
InnoDB: Note that in most 32-bit computers the process
InnoDB: memory space is limited to 2 GB or 4 GB.
InnoDB: We keep retrying the allocation for 60 seconds...

Lowering the configuration value in 1GB steps to 11 GB starts the server up okay, but I guess I could use more. What's going on?

Here's my.cnf

[client]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql-test.sock