At 06:46 PM 7/25/2008, you wrote:
List,

I am bulk inserting a huge amount of data into a MyISAM table (a
wikipedia page dump).
Before I issued SOURCE filename.sql; I did an ALTER TABLE page DISABLE
KEYS; LOCK TABLES page WRITE;
The dump consists of about 1,200 bulk INSERT statements with roughly
12,000 tuples each.
For the first hour or so it performed pretty good, taking about 5
seconds for each INSERT and using all the CPU it could get.
But a while later time consumption increased up to 10 minutes.
In the same time, mysqld is barely using any CPU (less than 2%), there
is no significant I/O going on, and there is still unused memory.
Thoughts?

Thanks a lot

--
Tobi

Tobi,
It will be much faster if you use a Load Data Infile on an empty table. Your method is likely slowing down because the table has keys that needs to be maintained. You could remove all of the keys, unique or otherwise, and build them after the data has been loaded. (Disable Keys will not disable unique keys or the primary key).

Mike