At 5:52p -0400 on Fri, 25 Jul 2008, mos wrote:
[Adding index to memory table silently loses data]

First thing, what version are you using?

Second thing, although it would still be broken, did you read the MySQL
docs to make sure that the Memory table type supports the index *type*
you attempted to add?

> 1) Why does adding an index lose the rows?
> 2) Why wasn't an error reported?

[ squint ]

My first thought is that MySQL and the Memory table type are used by
*lotsa* folks, with success, so I find it difficult to believe that this
wouldn't have been caught well before now.

Are you positive this problem isn't hardware related?  A few bad memory
locations could easily explain this.

If you're certain this is a bug in MySQL, creating a small,
*reproducible* test case and reporting this through the proper channels
(http://bugs.mysql.com/) will go much further to fixing the problem.

The reproducible part is very important, because without it, it's
suspect to be just your individual case, as with a bug in *your*
application code, your hardware, or generally something in your setup.

Kevin