I'm running replication on two servers using mysql version 3.23.37

I'm trying to rename or ignore replication of the mysql database, but
nothing seems to prevent the grant command on the master causing
replication to the slaves mysql.user table.

I've tried all of the following on the slave

        replicate-wild-ignore-table = mysql.%

        replicate-ignore-db = mysql

        replicate-ignore-table = mysql.user
        replicate-ignore-table = mysql.db
        etc.

        replicate-rewrite-db=mysql->mysql_master

and even the following on the master

        binlog-ignore-db=mysql

but none of them prevent updates of the slave's mysql.% tables

I have managed to ignore other tables with success.

Is there any way round this?

PS. I've been restarting both the master and slave mysqld in between
changes to /etc/mysql/my.cnf

--
Ann Rautenbach
DataCash Ltd.