I strongly advise you to use an off-the-shelf solution. In fact, if you can
afford it you should go with a CRM vendor. They will have all kinds of
features, such as address duplication detection, that you will need.

An open-source system would only be a good alternative if it is easily
extensible and has ongoing community support.

I maintain a home-brew CRM system, and it is a never-ending source of grief.
Our sales and marketing people are always asking for very reasonable
extensions that are increasingly hard to shoe-horn in.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
195 Farmington Ave.
Farmington, CT 06032