[JS] According to that article, it is the presence of a TEXT field that is
forcing the use of a temporary table. The JOIN to the `stage` table must
have been causing the temporary table to disk.

That doesn't explain why the without the `stage` table, the temporary table
fits in the (default) heap size of 16777216 and (default) tmp_table_size of
33554432; but with the `stage` table MySQL needs more than 973M.

I might have to just give up on this and put it in the X file.