I'm rather new to Mysql.
Here is the deal. I'm currently running mysql-3.23.33 from
mysql-3.23.33.tar.gz. Now after reading through documentation. I now know
that I should have used the RPM Version because I'm running Redhat Linux
6.2. So I then downloaded the new version MySQL-3.23.38-1.i386.rpm
everything installed fine and I was able to set the password the same as the
previous version. But when I copied my Data directory over to the new
versions Data dir the server would not start and it was giving me access
denied errors. Now the passwords are the same and there should be no reasons
why it would have failed. I know this because I have previously upgraded the
versions but from source not RPM. What did I do wrong or what steps did I
miss that should be done when you upgrade from source to RPM?

Thanks
Mike