I just tried this.  I got the same results *until* I inserted a record that
met the criteria.  SInce the values are for a primary key, EXPLAIN could see
there was no such entry and so reported that.  If you actually execute the
command, you would not see an error, just no rows returned.  EXPLAIN was
showing you that, since it can tell there are no records to retrieve, it
won't try.

I assume you did not actually have that data in the table.  Is that right?

--
Jim Lyons
Web developer / Database administrator