Kenneth Kopelson wrote:

> Look into the Linux "logrotate" daemon.  It allows you to configure what
> happens with logs.

  That would work if the problem I'm looking to solve was predictable -
i.e. I have a busy site and I run logrotate three times a day to make
sure the logs haven't gotten too big. The problem I'm trying to solve is
to avoid someone (either accidentally or intentionally) doing an
unexpected DOS on any services that requires space on the log device to
function correctly (i.e. kernel accounting, exim, mySQL, etc.) by making
mySQL log a tremendous amount of data to its logs through rapid,
successive queries.
  I was wondering if there was a way to have mySQL halt its logging
(similar to the way the kernel does) if the log device gets too full or
perhaps limit the total log file size. For example, Oracle will rotate a
fixed number of redo logs based upon their size so I know what the
absolute maximum total size of the logs will ever be and can provide
space for them.
  My main concern here (and maybe I should report this to the bugs list)
is that someone could DOS a server running mySQL fairly easily by
hammering away at a dynamic Web page.

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com