I don't have that much experience with MySQL having mostly worked with MSSQL, but I'm sure the logic is still the same. I believe the query "select count(*) as 'count' from logins GROUP BY dawiz" will fail because "dawiz" is not a column, it's a value within the table.

If I'm not mistaken, a GROUP BY is only required when the COUNT needs to be split into groups:

e.g.

select player, count(*) as 'Count' from logins GROUP BY player;

player   | Count
---------------
player1 |  12
player2 |  7
player3 | 35

or:
select count(*) as 'Count' from logins WHERE player = 'player1';

Count
-----
12

or:
select count(*) as 'Count' from logins;

Count
-----
54

Regards,

Andy

Darryle Steplight wrote:
Hi G,
   There is nothing weird about your results. When you do a Count(*)
without a GROUP BY(someColumn) you are essentially asking MySQL how
many rows are present in the table. But when you do use Group By
someColum , you are asking MySql how many  rows do I have of
"someColumn" .  It's just a good practice to use GROUP BY when you
want to a count of a specific column .

mysql> select count(*) as 'Count' from logins GROUP BY dawiz

The above query should return the results you are looking for.