From looking at the MySQL 5 docs, it doesn't look like there is any way to select a column with a regular expression applied to it?

I have a column that has ended up with some non ascii characters in it, probably vertical tabs and things like that from MS Excel. I need to sort by this field but its not coming out right because some of the values have these bad characters at the beginning. I'd like to select that column with a regex applied to it that strips out all the non-ascii chars, then sort by that field. Is this possible?

All the examples I saw are just using the regex in the where clause.

Thanks,
-Ryan