On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Colin Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Nagaraj S wrote:
>
>> Hi Gurus,
>>
>> Good Day! How to apply mysql bug fixing patches or it is just updating or
>> replacing some code in a c file and recompiling the source?
>>

> Depending on how your patch looks like, you will use the Unix patch(1)
> utility or not
>
> Anyone able to supply some simple steps to patch instructions?  I have
>> mysql
>> server running on Solaris 10 system.
>>

> Why not just use the method that Solaris provides to update the MySQL
> package?
>
> Applying patches requires you to recompile MySQL, and if you're already
> curious about how to apply a patch (and you're not clear what patch this
> might be), I'd avoid this method of getting things done

One possible ambiguity is that "patch" means different things to different
people.

To hard-core *nix users, patch strictly means the behavior of the "patch"
program ("man patch").

However, to certain others, "patch" may mean any bugfix mechanism (updates).

I suspect that the OP used "patch" when the lingo of the list would have
been "update".