On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Olexandr Melnyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  On 9/23/08, David Ashley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> For example, for the 50 states, a lot of programmers would put this logic
>> in
>> the web script and just store the two-letter postal code in the database
>> table (but with no separate table for "states").  The mapping from "MI" to
>> "Michigan" would occur in the web scripts; as would the logic to know that
>> "XQ" is not a state.
>>

> Keep in mind that, as you add more countries, maintaining in-scipt
> code/name mappings of state codes will become more and more cumbersome.
> Another problem will arise if you want to view user information, along with
> full country and state names, from a different programming language.
>
> Plus, if the same query is run very often and table is almost static,
> chances are high that the result will be in query cache.

The "different programming language" issue is one I hadn't thought about.
Good catch.

I program in PHP only, and I run queries manually only if I need to debug
something hard.  But I could see the issue you cited arising in a more
complex environment.  I could even see a "mixed" web application where the
web presence is a mixture of PHP, Python, and Perl.

Good catch.