You shouldn't have to flush the logs manually. I have been flushing binary
logs using this expire_logs_days for some time with no other intervention.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have limited disk space, and an
usual spike in updates your binary logs can still grow and consume all
available disk space if you are not keeping tabs on available disk space
when using the expire_logs_days directive or a cron job. Depending on your
volume of traffic or the size of the volume this may not be an issue.

Ben Wiechman
Network Admin
Wisper High Speed Internet