Andy,
Did you install to a drive other then C:\?
If you, you'll have to edit the configuration files to reflect that path.
my.cnf is/should be in the root directory, and you might need to edit it
with the path to your installation.

Also, check out http://www.mysql.com/doc/O/p/Option_files.html for info on
the different config files, and their contents/options.

Dennis