Hi Olaf,

We use our mysqldump script to rotate the binlogs; it's much safer as it allows MySQL to do the log rotate natively (if you use logrotate, MySQL will complain that either the log doesn't exist when it expects it to, or your slaves will bail out because they didn't know the log was changed. It happened to us recently when we moved the log directory and didn't update the log index.)

At 2am our backup system runs the mysqldump script with the extra parameter --flush-logs. This causes MySQL to rotate the log it's using, and as you found out, all slaves respond to the change without an issue.

Andy

Olaf Stein wrote:
Thanks all...
Rotating actually does not affect the slaves, they adjust to the new binlog
just fine, I guess I should have tried that first.

I will nevertheless take a closer look at logrotate...

Olaf