Hi all,

I had a server pretty much locked up this morning due to the mysql bin logs
filling up the /var filesystem.

I had been investigating the my.cnf settings file a white back, got
sidetracked, and never finished it.

The bin logs are named:

/var/db/mysql/myserver-bin.000001
/var/db/mysql/myserver-bin.000002
/var/db/mysql/myserver-bin.000003
/var/db/mysql/myserver-bin.000004

I assume a new one is created each time the mysql server is started. I had to
shut down all services on the server, delete all these files and restart
everything.

Anywho, the two questions are:

1. Are these files used when 'fixing' tables, or, are they only used for the
master/salve replication?

2. Is it safe to, and how do I, turn off the bin logs altogether (there are no
slave servers),

3. What my.cnf settings would you all reccomend for:

Mysql4, running on, FreeBSD 6, 1 GB Memory, var fs is 5 GB, 250 virtual domains
on the server, of which 50 may be using mysql/php (for bulliten boards etc).
(I am reading through the /usr/local/share/mysql *.cnf files ...)