It all started when I deleted one of the users, 'michael', from within a
database program --> lo and behold 'michael' disappeared from all groups
along with the data. 'michael' was an admin user as was another admin
user, but the data belonged to 'michael'

I recreated this user but could not see the data

So I restored the respective mysql database, named pbcs7, from a tar
backup (I now understand this is not the best way to backup mysql), but
the data remained elusive.

The database program - PBCS which is an appointment system - resides in
/home/www/public_html and the respective mysql database (MySQL Vers
4.1.20) is in /var/lib/mysql

What am I missing please?

Steps for restoration of the backup (permissions were found to be preserved):
1. the backed up 'pbcs7' database files were temporarily restored using
the tar -zxvf command to:
/var/lib/restore/var/lib/mysql/pbcs7/

2. made copy of files in use (ie the files from which data was missing)
to...restore2 directory
cp -a /var/lib/mysql/pbcs7/* /var/lib/restore2/

3. /sbin/service mysqld stop

4. restored pbcs7 database files to the working mysql directory
cp -a /var/lib/restore/var/lib/mysql/pbcs7/* /var/lib/mysql/pbcs7/

5. /sbin/service mysqld start

Any help would be great

Michael