On thing that tripped me up when I did the same move was the change in
LEFT JOIN syntax.  It now joins to the LAST table in a list.  This change
actually happened half way through the 4.0x series.  Doesn't effect data,
but does effect queries.  There MAY also be a difference on how string
comparisons occur.  I've had to add 'RTRIM' when comparing CHAR type with
strings from the web which are not space extended, but that may just be my
vesion of DBD::mysql.    Good luck.