Roman Eberle wrote:
hi,

someone else had a similar question, but didn't get any useful reply
here on the list - I'll give it another try. :-)

I need some basic understanding of MySQL table crashes. Maybe you can
help me, I think it's so basic, no one ever wrote about it. (Until
now! ;)) The mysql manual just says 'if you have a crashed table you can
repair it.' Well...

1. What IS a table crash? What file/relation/... gets corrupted? And how
does table recovery basically work?

2. If you had a crashed table: Where would you start looking for the
reason? And where would you look next?

3. What precautions can one take to avoid a table crash? Are there any
symptoms that show up when a table crash is about to happen? (like: out
of swap memory, disk full, too much system load, ...?)

Any comments/hints/links appreciated,
thanks in advance,
regards
Roman

#1 reason is powering off the computer without a proper shutdown.
Get a UPS.

--
Gerald L. Clark
Sr. V.P. Development