On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 14:30 +0000, Mark Goodge wrote:
> I wouldn't try to arbitrarily normalise the database for SQL
> efficiency.
> In a real-life situation, it's more important that the database
> design
> reflects your actual workflow and business requirements. Having a
> field
> that's empty 50% or more of the time is far less of a problem than
> not
> being able to process a sale because your database structure is too
> inflexible :-)

I agree.  Remember hardware is cheap, software expensive.  It's always
cheaper to add more hard disks than it is to create the software to deal
with an inflexible design.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

The map is not the territory,
the dossier is not the person,
the model is not reality,
and the universe is indifferent to your beliefs.