Simon,
Thanks for the info, that is very useful. I still have a few questions though...I am considering setting up a 200GB LVM partition for the mysql data and a 70 GB LVM partition for the snapshots.

Am I able to store several snapshots on the 70 GB partition? or do I need to take one snapshot and then move it..take another one then move it?

Also...if anyone else is doing this...how often are you taking the snapshots...every 5 minutes, every hour, every 12 hours, etc?

Thanks,

Shain

Simon J Mudd wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shain Miley) writes:

I am trying to  plan we in advance our methods for backup and recovery
of our new MySQL replication cluster.  After doing some research it
looks like a lot of people are using LVM snapshots as their backup
solution.  We currently have two MySQL servers with 2 300 GB (Raid 1).
What I am confused about is the best disk layout to use at this point.

Do I need to create a separate volume for the snapshots?  Can anyone
provide any suggestions on disk layout for two disks of this size?

The filesystem layout is largely irrelevant. Basically what you want
is to have all your mysql files on a separate LVM filesystem. So you
could do this by creating a new filesystem and mounting it at
/var/lib/mysql. Then install MySQL.

Once you have the filesystem mounted you can use mysql as normal.

To take snapshots do the following:

1. stop mysql
2. make a snapshot LV of the volume mounted at /var/lib/mysql
3. start mysql
4. mount the snapshot and back it up to a real filesystem or to tape or
whatever.
5. unmount the snapshot and remove it.

4. Is very important as if you don't do this eventually the snapshot
will run out of space and suddenly it will lose its contents. It's
only a temporary staging area.

Hope this helps.

Simon