If this is a web app, then it should be making a new connection every
time a page is loaded (where applicable). At least that's how every PHP
site I've ever made works...

If this is a stand alone app, if your language has threads you could
(hackily) have a thread that does some "NO-OP" every hour (or some other
interval) to the database. This should keep the connection alive. If
there aren't threads, then you may have to test for the connection first
then do your queries. This can be optimized by storing a unix timestamp
and if you know it fails after some duration (like 6 hours of
inactivity) then you can compare timestamps as a shortcut. Again, this
is all very hacky.

I've run into this kind of BS behavior with a Ruby application that used
ActiveRecord.

It's lame that the database wrapper isn't smart enough to detect the
connection has gone away and fire a new one up transparently for you.

Tell Pesty, Mort, Hungry Joe, Jane, Toughie and Walkie Talkie I said,
"hello". :)

Daevid.
http://daevid.com