I'm not at all familiar with SQL Server, but you need to make sure that the
encoding/charset you use in MySQL is the same as used in SQL S.

If not the same, then you might need to transcode the data before migrating.

Collation is less important than encoding. - if you get the charset wrong,
then your data can become garbled. The collation can be changed after the
fact.

The encoding/charset you would typically use in a multilingual environment
is utf8. [In fact, you can use this all the time, unless you've got a good
reason not to]. The utf8 charset has the default collation of
utf8_general_ci. - That collation is less than perfect, - utf8_unicode_ci is
more accurate, but slower. However, collation might not be an issue for you.
See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/charset-unicode-sets.html.

hth.
~mm