| userID       |
+--------------+

---------------------------------
itemTBL
+--------------+
| type         |
| itemID       |
+--------------+

itemTBL denotes a College, Dept, Course, Faculty
 (could just as easily have had the separate cols in
   the userTBL, for each of the items.. this
   would have resulted in empty fields, as the
   app would have had a single item per row in
   the userTBL..)

  type    itemID
 college   1
 dept      2
 course    3
 faculty   4

----------------------------------

the userTBL is used to track each item the user is
 responsible for. an item could be a College, Dept,
 Course, or Faculty.

my intended app will allow the user to select a given
 item (college, dept, course, faculty) and to store
 this data. when a user is displaying a list of
 items, i'd like to have my app determine if the
 child of the item has been selected by the user.

so. if a user has selected stanford, i'd like to
 be able to have a query that returns 'true' for
 any item, that has a 'child' (leaf) already selected by
 the user. (this should work for any level of
 childTBL)

so if a user has selected a course, from the
 stanford, physics dept, physics 101, i'd like to
 have a query that returns 'true' if the user
 selects 'stanford' from the list of colleges...

i'm hoping that this makes sense!!

thanks