I'm currently spec'ing out a design plan for a large scale MySQL infrastructure to support a high-read large scale web environment for a client. I've got the overall MySQL set up planned out (which I'll post here later to get peoples inputs/advice) but one issue which is currently undecided is what operating system to support. The boxes will be Sun AMD64 servers with 8 local disks each, there are numerous people arguing for Solaris and equal numbers arguing for Linux.

So, leaving advocacy at the door, what is the best OS to use for a MySQL set up, Solaris or Linux? And specifically, the reasons why one is better or worse than the other.

Also, what filesystem type to use for datadir would be recommended for best performance, this question obviously depends on what OS we're running. The applications running on it will be mostly using MyISAM.

Thanks in advance,
Craig