I overcame this by adding to my php script, something that goves the
user the results, summerised, of what they added to the database, thus
when hitting refresh, it just refreshes the results of what the php
script returned, not what they submitted.
My php script is below.
Pete
     <?php

     require("fedb.inc");

     mysql_connect(localhost,$user,$password);

     @mysql_select_db($db) or die( "Unable to select database");

     /*Insert into database */

     mysql_query ("INSERT INTO asset (site_id, hostname, device, model,
serial, ip,
                   dept, mhz, ram, hd_size, os_ver, status, data_port,
pp_port, hub_port,
                   digi_port, csmim_port, tprmim_port, xyplex_port,
comments, fe)
                    VALUES ('$site_id', '$hostname', '$device',
'$model', '$serial', '$ip',
                             '$dept', '$mhz', '$ram', '$hd_size',
'$os_ver', '$status',
                             '$data_port', '$pp_port', '$hub_port',
'$digi_port',
                             '$csmim_port', '$tprmim_port',
'$xyplex_port',
                             '$comments', '$fe')
                  ");

     print ($site_id);
     print (" ");

     print ($hostname);
     print (" ");

     print ($device);
     print (" ");

     print ($model);

     print (" ");

     print ($serial);

     print (" ");

     print ($ip);

     print (" ");

     print ($dept);

     print (" ");

     print ($mhz);

     print (" ");

     print ($ram);

     print (" ");

     print ($hd_size);

     print (" ");

     print ($os_ver);

     print (" ");

     print ($status);

     print (" ");

     print ($data_port);

     print (" ");

     print ($pp_port);

     print (" ");

     print ($hub_port);

     print (" ");

     print ($digi_port);

     print (" ");

     print ($csmim_port);

     print (" ");

     print ($tprmim_port);

     print (" ");

     print ($xyplex_port);

     print (" ");

     print ($comments);

     print (" ");

     print ($fe);

     print (" ");

     print ("<p>");

     print ("<p>");

     print ("Thanks for submitting your device.");

     ?>

Cindy wrote:

> "Dawn H" writes:
>  >I've written a couple of scripts and have a thing that I haven't quite
>  >figured out. If anyone can shed light on this, I'd appreciate it.
>  >
>  >When a person submits a form that inserts a record into the database, if
>  >they then refresh the page that comes up after the submit, the record will
>  >be submitted a second time.  I suppose this is due to the fact that the
>  >subroutine that is called with the submit contains both the write to
>  >database bit and the view bit. So refreshing causes a repeat of both items.
>  >
>  >How can I do this without that problem?
>
> I was finally forced to add a check that there wasn't already an
> identical record (using a minimum comparison set of fields) before
> inserting the record.  There really isn't any way to prevent dingbats
> from refreshing, so...  I CYA by emailing a copy of the record/element
> values to myself when I refuse to add it in, but I havne't had any
> spurious refusals so far.
>
> --Cindy

Pete Kuczynski
Principal Field Engineer