mysql> explain SELECT SUM(COUNTER_VALUE)  FROM STO_LIS sl,
    -> SCAT_LIS sfl WHERE sl.STO_LIS_ID =
    -> sfl.LIS_ID AND sfl.CAT_ID = '-1';

+----+-------------+-------+------+-----------------------+-------------------+---------+---------------------+------+-------------+
| id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys         |
key               | key_len | ref                 | rows | Extra       |
+----+-------------+-------+------+-----------------------+-------------------+---------+---------------------+------+-------------+
|  1 | SIMPLE      | sfl   | ref  | PRIMARY,sfcatlist_lst |
PRIMARY           | 4       | const               |   23 | Using index |
|  1 | SIMPLE      | sl    | ref  | STO_LIST_UK     | STO_LIS_UK | 4       |
sm15.sfl.lis_id |    1 | Using where |
+----+-------------+-------+------+-----------------------+-------------------+---------+---------------------+------+-------------+
2 rows in set (0.31 sec)

mysql>  SELECT SUM(COUNTER_VALUE)  FROM STORES_LISTING sl,
SFCATEGORY_LISTING sfl WHERE sl.STORES_LISTING_ID =  sfl.LISTING_ID AND
sfl.CATEGORY_ID = '-1';
| SUM(COUNTER_VALUE) |
|               NULL |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)