I'm also having a similar issue with some tables I've been trying to dump
(total data set is around 3TB).  I'm dumping directly from one host to
another (mysqldump -hSOURCE DATABASE | mysql -hLOCALHOST DATABASE) using
mysql 4.1.22.  One system is Solaris 10 SPARC, while the other is Solaris 10
x64 (64bit MySQL as well).

I wrote a script that starts a mysqldump process for each table within a
database, which shouldn't be a problem since the host currently has around
12G unused memory.  Midway through the dump I seem to lose the connection as
Dan described.  After attempting to drop/re-import (using a single process),
the larger tables continue to fail (though at different points) while some
of the small-medium sized tables made it across.

Anyone else run into this before? Ideas?

Thanks,
-Aaron